There’s a reason they say a smile can light up a room. A smile is a great way to connect with someone on a deeper level. When it comes to the patient-doctor or patient-nurse relationship, a smile creates rapport and is a great way to help put an anxious patient at ease.
Here are the undeniable benefits of a smile:
- Boosts mood: There have been various studies indicating that the act of smiling can help you feel better. In one study, patients were encouraged to smile or frown during a medical procedure. The frowners felt more pain during the procedure, whereas the smilers felt less. If your patient is feeling pain, see if humour or a smile can help them feel a little bit better.
- Reduces stress: The act of laughing can cool your stress response, lower your blood pressure, and help you feel more relaxed. Being in a healthcare setting or bed-bound can be stressful for many. Give your patients your best (or worst) joke to get them giggling!
- Soothes tension: A good laugh gets your body moving a bit, stimulating circulation in your body. It also helps to relax tense muscles. If you’re noticing your patient is physically anxious, a funny cat or dog video might be enough to get them laughing and relaxing.
- Boosts immune system: Negative thoughts and attitudes translate into a chemical reaction in your body that creates stress and decreases your immunity. Positive thoughts create neuropeptides that have the opposite effect. If you can’t seem to get a smile or a laugh from your patient, try positivity!
- Makes YOU more likeable: Bedside manner for healthcare providers is often criticized. Every time you smile, it makes you more likeable, and your patients are more likely to return a smile. When they return your smile, they get all the benefits of that smile (mood boost, stress reduction, tension reduction, immunity boost)
Laughter really is some of the best medicine, and when paired well with the health care program, you’re providing for your patients. We challenge you to look for new ways to bring smiles and laughter into the lives of your patients.
They’re more likely to laugh if they got a good night’s sleep. Help them get the sleep they need for their health and wellbeing by getting them a medical-grade premium care mattress from Essential Medical Products. Learn more about our bedding, rehab therapy products, and wheelchair cushions.